Chi-town
The landing in Chicago is pretty dramatic. Midway is not the main airport and it shows. The runway is so close to a freeway that you almost feel like you are going to scrape the cars on the road. I have seen plenty of places where the road is close to the runway, however this was the worst.
The flight itself was uneventful, or so I think. I feel asleep even before the engines started to hum and woke up right before we landed. I can easily fall asleep..anywhere..anyhow. As I child I hated to sleep. However, a night full of physical work for enough to knock the lights out.
After we got all our luggage (all 8 bags of different sizes, weights, volumes), we got our rented car (a nissan Sentra), stuffed the back seat with the luggage and headed to the hotel.
The hotel we had booked was very close to the main airport, O'Hare. It was a good 30 minutes drive. Again, after making several trips to take the bags up, we headed out to find dinner. Elk Grove is a really small suburb and the only place that looked decent and was open was an Italian restaurant called 'Avanti'. It had several pictures of movie stars, sports people etc. Had Gnocci which is a pasta made out of potato and Neeraj had a sandwich. Both were good, except that the sauce was very sour. I am not really fond of tangy stuff and I am extremely worried about finding food in Italy.
Anyways, came back to the hotel and slept for the next 11 hours. We meant to wake up at 7 am, we did, only that the alarm went off at 7am PST :). We missed the free hotel breakfast, so had to go to Dunkin Donuts to get coffee and a bagel. On a side note, I think California misses a lot by not having Dunkin.
This Dunkin, like our hotel and many other places around here, is owned by desis. Apparently a lot of the places are. The drive into Chicago downtown is just like any other, except that even on thursday at 11 am, there was traffic. Parking that was safe and cheap was hard to find and eventually, we parked close to Sears tower. We immediately went up the tower. It was an amazingly clear day. You are on the 100th floor of this 1700 feet tall gigantic building. You can see the flat terrain as far as the eye can travel. The Michigan lake is a sea. There, I have said it. After years of teasing friends who called it a sea, I agree it is a sea.
After we got down, I shocked Neeraj by suggesting pizza for lunch. Found a place called Giordino's which had a long wait for the single person serving of stuffed pizza. I am not a pizza lover, hence I won't do justice to the pizza by commenting on it.
Then we walked around millenium park, the diamond cut building. The strange thing in Chi-town is that security guards and cops go around on Segways. Pretty cool. We rested our feet at Navy Pier which was quite quiet as it was a weekday. We sat there, watched the sun set and then treaded back to the car park. Here is when it got a little scary as it was getting quieter and lonelier. We kept on telling each other that next block we get into a cab. The problem was that we did not remember the exact cross street where we parked. After a few fights, wrong ways, we made it to the car and rushed out of the city. The only place we found open near the hotel was a DQ. Had a really awful sandwich and worse fries.
The next day, I saw one of the worst thunderstorms. Luckily, our flight was one of the few not cancelled or delayed.
Chicago is clean (cleaner than NY), its multi-layer downtown is different and confusing. I think I did not see all the better parts of chicago, so it seemed just like any other big city. The lakeshore drive, the navy pier, the skyline and most of all the weather were what I enjoyed the most.
Chana Chaat - spicy, tangy protein-rich salad
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment