Driving in Geneva...
After we took off from Amsterdam, Neeraj and I were very excited about having rented a car in Switzerland. Also, since we booked it online, we were able to rent a Mercedes or similar and we were extremly eager to see what car we got. Obviously we did not get the Mercedes :) however, the "or similar" was a Renault Scenic. We were paying considerably more than we anticipated because of the insurance coverage but driving in new country, you are better off with the full insurance. If we paid 20 CHF more each day, we would have been able to get an automatic instead of a stick-shift. But I am not fond of driving and I like to navigate...(or so I thought)
Here is snippet of conversation shortly after we left the car-rental office.
K: I hope this car is worth the money we have paid.
N: Don't worry..Enjoy!
In the car:
N: Cool, there is no key, just press this card in and press the start button.
K: Hey we don't know the way to the hotel
N: I am sure we will find it.
Few minutes later
K: I am lost
N: Wow..this car is soo nice...No wonder we are paying so much.
K: I need some help with this map, it's all Rue d' and Rue de la...
N: I thought you learnt French
K: Ha Ha..you have not seen my marksheet
N: Here is how you read this map. Read the name of the street from the list behind, then locate the Y co-ordinate on the grid in the map, then fold the map so that the X marking show up and then locate the street...simple!!
K: HUH??
A few minutes later..
K: Careful, we could easily miss an exit and go to France. We do not want to do that..my visa is valid of 15 days only!!!
N: Don't worry..we are doing fine..see the sign to Geneva city?
K: yeah!! :) You are so good with directions
I sit back and relax..the map shows a long way to the city center
K: Careful!! Don't you think this car is a little big for these streets..
N: Hmm..No, its fun to drive a powerful car...its new!!
K: It almost seems like a city in India..but cleaner..wonder where we are...WATCH OUT FOR THAT bike....the traffic is also a bit like India
N: hmm..why don't you locate us in the map?
K: I think its a long way..whats the name of the street we are on?
N: I thought you knew where we were..
K: Relax..I am sure we are on the right road..I just need to find the street name, locate it on the map
N: Okay, hey this car has some anti-lock gear first gear shut down (this is where I tuned out:))
A few seconds later, Ketaki visibly panicked..
K: What is the name of the street...why does it say Geneva city 3 km? how could it be possible? What is the scale of this map? Where is the name of the street? I don't like this at all.
N: Relax! But where the heck are the street names?
K: Whats that little thing on the side of the buildings with small letters?..Rue de...Oh No..Those are the street names??
N: Are you serious? Do you know where we are on the map? I wonder if that sign means we are supposed to stop? or maybe slow down?
K:We should have never rented this car. We should have never rented a car..I can't find a single street on the map. By the time I find one, we have gone past it long back. The scale of this map is not like what I thought. I don't want to navigate
N:You are not helping by panicking. Why don't you focus on the map?
K:But I can't!! You think its easy? We should have printed directions before we attempted to do this. Are we on this side of the river? I don't think we crossed any bridge?
N:No we didnot. Do we need to?
K: I don't know. Stop this car. I can't do this. This car is too big
N: Okay, it is, I am doing fine..Okay?..So where do we want to be?
K: (Sulking) The other side of the river.
N: As far as I know, there is not river in Geneva..
K: But I see it on the map!!!!
N: Ok ok..Here goes the bridge..Do you see a name?
K: Okay...now I know where we are..now we need to turn right..then left...(looking up) Now where are we?
N: I thought you knew where we were..Should I keep on going straight?
K: Yes...should buy us some time..why are we going up these cobbled streets? Do you think we are allowed to go here?
N: Well, I can't stop in the middle of the street. Anyways, looks like the rules are not as strict as US. People seem to drive as they please.
K: Hey, I think I know where we are..turn around now..
N: I can't ..the streets are so narrow...I think the car is a little too big...
A few minutes later, Neeraj pulled over and read and explained the map to me.
K: Okay...however, I think we made a big mistake.
N:Lets first get to the hotel.
K: I think we are lost again, how did we cross the river? I mean the lake?
N: Okay, I need to find a way to turn..I wonder if its our right of way? I guess it is (zooming and going to the other side). Wonder how many laws we have broken?
K: Not funny...lets try and get to the other side...
N: Okay, I am trying to...
K: We are going towards the airport again..
N: I am trying to turn...Okay, here we go...
K: by the way, we are driving on the tram path..I don't see any more cars ..Are we allowed to do so?
N: At this moment, I don't care, lets get to the other side of the lake first..
K: Finally, I know where we are..
N: Have I heard that before or what?
K: Okay I am lost
N: I think I have heard that before as well!!
K: Turn left ..turn left...don't cross the river again...
N: I have to ..I am in the turn-only lane..
K: I don't think it matters here.
N: Okay..here is the main street..The hotel should be on one of the cross-streets.
K: (sinking feeling) I think we just went past it.
N: Okay, then I know how to get there.
Finally, this continued for another half an hour, and we found 'Rue du Constantipole" and the hotel. Neeraj waits in what seems like a no-parking zone, while I run up to the reception. The girl there tells me that we cannot park on the street below, but need to park in the public parking, below the lake...She hands me a paper.."follow these directions, and you cannot get lost". Yeah right..It been two and half hours since we set out.
K: Okay, we need to park under the lake..
N: What?
K: Just listen to my directions..we can't get lost
N: Okay...here we go..
K: Hey we were not supposed to cross the river!!!
N: You did not tell me that...
After about half a dozen wrong turns, we finally found the public parking, gladly got out of the car, and walked towards the hotel thinking...Maybe the car is too big....
Chana Chaat - spicy, tangy protein-rich salad
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment