Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I just found heaven in Pune!! :)

As some of you might know and rest will know, I have been missing Thai food a lot since I came back. Enough to have G send me some packet of spices so I could make it when we really missed it bad.

Past couple of times that I went out for dinner, my dad told us about this place called Thai House on Dhole Patil Road. However, we were always headed to some other specific restaurant and never really went to this place.

Last time we drove past the restaurant, we saw that the owners look like natives of Thailand. Neeraj and I went these last Sunday and were pleasantly surprised with decor. Its very much like the Thai restaurants in US. The ornate furniture, the pictures of the Thai King, the small fancy offerings.

The owners are from Bangkok who have lived in India for 6+ years. The menu is purely Thai. No impurities of Malaysian/Singaporean or Desi Chinese :) Neeraj and I drooled over the menu and I could not bring myself to read the entire menu. We were estatic to see Tom Kha Gai, Chicken Satay and Phad Thai. We started with an order of Chicken Satay which was divine..probably the best satay I have had ever.

The portion was sufficient for three people. Neeraj and I, managed to finish it ourselves :) We also ordered Tom Kha Shrimp and were pleasantly surprised to get a fairly big bowl of soup, unlike the "one by two" soups that you get in most Indian restaurants. The soup again was so good. Just the right amount of Lemon grass, galangal and coconut milk.

The next was an order of Panang Chicken, Chicken garlic and pepper, and rice. By then we were really full, but we wanted to try as much food just because we were so thrilled to see all the familiar names.

The chicken garlic and pepper was dry and deep fried. So, although we asked them to pack the panang chicken, we helped ourselves to a bit of it. We realized later that the menu did say that this was a dry dish.

The panang chicken lived up to our expectations and so did the other chicken dish. The rice was wonderful aromatic Jasmine rice.

Neeraj and I also tried the Thai iced tea and a fruit drink for about 25 rs. each. Would pass those, as that can kill your appetite for the food.

The whole meal cost about 450 rs. And this included one to-go dish which we ate the next day.

All in all, we could not wipe the grins off our faces for the next 1 hour :)

Directions:
Go to Dhole Patil Road and go past Ruby Hospital and Hotel Kapila. This is in the strip mall past the first cross-road on the right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ketaki,

You have fantastic blogs, both this one and the restaurant guide. We have introduced a new website in Pune called burrp.com Hopefully now you won't have much trouble finding thai food in Pune.:) Hope you like it. Keep up the good writing,

Best,
Aarti

Anonymous said...

hi:

this place has now shifted to Bhau Patil road - the road that connects Aundh Road to Harris Bridge. Do try the Thai omelette - just too good

JohnM