Saturday, May 27, 2006

That 80s show..

Aashiqui ribbon, kabatuar ja ja dress, Friend cap with the pigeon, Hum aap ke hain kaun purple sareee....

How many of you grimaced at the mention of these outlandish fashions. As I type this, I was watching "Mere rang main" from Maine Pyaar Kiya. Channel surfing is what I do on weekends that Neeraj decides to work. The channel before that was showing a Govinda-MAdhuri Dixit movie. Her outfits made me look away and change the channel before it got too weird. Bhagyashree's furry, ribbony, netty clothes....what were they thinking..what were we thinking trying to ape them. Not much obviously.

What was it with bad hair with false hair implantations, bad colors, worse netted stocking with ribbons and bows and the Pooja Bhatt perm (although I still want curly hair once..for the heck of it:)).

Fortunately for my mother's sensibility, I was saved from committing some of these fashion crimes at that time. But I still remember wearing big dangling hoop earrings with florecent color tights with long tees. My mom had put her foot down when I insisted on buying those pink or orange cycling shorts..God bless her!! Who decided to make cycling shorts a fashion statement?? And what was with the dhoti salwar and balloon skirts? I remember that my mom finally compromised and bought me a skirt which was made in the tee-shirt material which did not 'balloon' as much. I must have worn it once, after which my mom cut it and made two skirts :))

Growing up, since my mom stitched most of our clothes at home (which we thought was uncool at that time), we always had unique clothes. And she tamed the current fashion craze into a more decent outfit...and yet..I did rebel once in a while..I wish I could get my hands on those photos and burn them..

I remember chopping off my hair that was below the waist to get the trendy bangs and shoulder length hair. I still regret it, because I never was able to grow it that long. I went further and got the Demi Moore Ghost cut. (I am not that ashamed of it!!:).

I guess only time will tell which of todays fashions will make us laugh a few years down the line..

No comments: