Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A disposable world!

I am a firm believer in the disposable stuff. If you can avoid cleaning, washing, drying and then doing this again everyday, I tend to do that. Moving from US, one of the things that I was going to miss was having kitchen paper towels and orange wipes for the rest.

Fortunately, places like dorabjee, Ozone, Tru-mart sell these and once again, my kitchen is equipped with the things I love :) I knew that using diapers, wipes and nappy sacks goes against the mentality of the mom-generation. It was an uphill battle to convince some people why I like my baby to wear diapers when the temperature is 10 deg celcius. Back in september, when it was warmer, it was ok. But our house is quite chilly and I refuse to let her be wet or cold. See my logic is this: Because she is going to pee, you don't dress her in anything waist down and wrap her in a piece of cloth. Because she will pee, you place her on a plastic and then do not notice if she is wet. Because she is in a tee-shirt or even a sweater, it tends to ride up. So when the adults are wearing jeans and tee-shirts and sweaters, my baby is almost half naked!!

On the other hand, once she has a nappy on, she can wear tees, sweater, pjs or the likes and socks. And no one has to worry about getting their clothes dirty. And I don't have to worry about getting a maid to clean the tons of wet and soiled "duptas". Similarly, with wet wipes that you can easily carry, with moisturizers so soothe her skin, you can just bundle the diaper, the wipes in the nappy sacks and you are done. No mess, no hassle.

This was inspired because yesterday, when I was at the chemist to buy a new stock of nappies, there were about 6 other people there. Three were buying nappies and the 4th was curious about the bulk nappies that I was buying. I am sure, the generation here understands and appreciates the convinience of disposible. Its not a bad thing esp. if you are making the money and can afford it. Think about it. Pampers is about 10 rs a piece. If you use 5-6 a day, you still spend less than 2000 rs a month. Not much for the above mentioned peace of mind. One lunch/dinner at La Dolce Vita with dessert will cost about the same.

I am glad that slowly but surely, the convinience of working moms is gaining importance!

No comments: